Nov 10, 2010

J6 Abortion

"Do you believe minors should be allowed to have abortions without parental consent, and why?" i don’t think minors should be allowed to have abortions without a parental signature. The girls are scared, or angry, and a lot of the time they don’t understand the long-term consequences. Also, it’s the parent’s grandchild, they should have a say in the child’s life. A lot of people don’t ever think about how an abortion will affect the father. It’s his child too, the loss of his baby is almost as devastating to the father as it is to the mother. Emotionally its the same, but the mother also has all the physical complications that come with abortion. Aside from all religious/ moral reasons, it isn't smart to let minors make such a drastic decision by themselves.

9 comments:

  1. I don't think they should be allowed to have abortions anyway, but definitely not without parental consent. It's their fault in the first place, they should be able to live with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jared, it isn't always their fault. They don't always have a choice, especially the younger girls, 13 and 14. For them an abortion seems like the only way out of a hell they didn't ask for. It isn't always their fault, and sometimes they can't live with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Jared on the abortions not being allowed. The ones who get themselves in to it should live with the consequences, even if that means giving the baby up for adoption. In cases of rape or the like I still don't agree with abortion. It's not the babies fault and I don't think they have the right to destroy God's creation. I believe that no matter who the father of the baby is, he/she should still get the chance of life. God is still God even in the bad times, meaning we don't have the right to take an innocent human beings life.
    Of coarse, thats from a right wing Conservative Christian's point of view. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo, i do agree with you. What you said is right, its what Jared said that made me mad. "It's their fault in the first place, they should be able to live with it." Even your statment "The ones who get themselves in to it should live with the consequences" That isn't true. Sometimes it isn't their fault at all. That doesn't give them the right to kill that child, but it isn't that girl's fault. Adoption is a preferable alternative to raising a child alone. The girls that sleep around, or that choose to make that choice, yea they did it to themselves, they should live with it. But not every girl that gets pregnat made the choice that lead to that pregnancy. A lot more girls than you think have pregnancies resulting from rape.
    And what about STD? Did every person that contracts an STD "ask for it"? Is it really their fault? How far do you carry the logic that if these type of things happen to someone its their fault? What about the baby born addicted to herroin? Or that already has AIDS? What did they do to chose that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teen pregnancies/abortion/rape/child abuse is an issue i feel very strongly about. It drives me crazy when people judge others or lump everyone in a catagory without knowing the whole story. i'm not offended, exactly, and i'm not mad at you. i'm upset with the "the girl asked to get pregnat" or "if they got raped its their fault" mindset. It sounded like you were leaning towards that, and those ideas are not only unfair, they're wrong. And dangerous. Just please think about both sides of an issue, not just what you've been told. i wanted you to think about more than just the "bad girls that get pregnat" side of abortion. There is a lot more to this issue.

    If i came on too strong, i'm sorry. Like i said, this is something i feel very passionate about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right, pregnancy's happen by rape, then it's not the girls fault. I guess what it is, is that I am looking at abortion from the child's view and you are from the girls view both are very necessary. When looking at it from the girls view this is what I believe:
    If by rape-I can't even began to imagine the trauma caused by this. However, abortion doesn't really help anything. My mom has known several women who have had abortions. All of them have morned the loss of their child. Now, not only do the girls have to deal with rape, but also the guilt of killing a child, their child. Why would we want this for them.
    If by sleeping around then the girl is only getting the consequences that come with that sin. God warns us, but leaves the decision up to us. They may not have asked for a baby or diseases, but they sinned. Drunks don't ask to get in a car wreck, but when you drink and drive, thats what you get.
    I'm not trying to judge, I hope thats not what it sounds like. In Gods eyes I am equally guilty with any person you could think of. I'm not going to judge or look down on a girl for what she did, din't, or thought about doing. I just won't be guilty of standing by as millions of babies get murdered.
    As for the children born with aides or other problems, I don't have an answer. I just have to have faith that God will take care of them. God loves us all, and none of us are a mistake, even those who society would deem less then perfect.
    I understand your passion, and it's very admirable. So often I just think about the babies, the girls need to be thought about too. This post gave me a chance to think about that. I still don't think abortion is the answer, but now not just for the babies, but for the girls too. =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. ""If they got raped its their fault" mindset. It sounded like you were leaning towards that."
    Seriously? Do you know me at all? I would never think that.
    My point was that out of all of the underage pregnancies, rape and the like probably only account for 10-20% of them. With the other 80-90%, they chose to sleep with someone. If they chose to, then they need to be able to live with the consequences. I'm not trying to be judgmental, but that's how I see it.
    "What about the baby born addicted to heroin? Or that already has AIDS? What did they do to chose that?" As for this, I don't see what that has to do with abortion. I didn't say that it was their fault.
    Again, sorry if I offended you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jori: i do focus on the girls, almost entirely so. i believe that abortion, in any context, is completely wrong. Always.
    i tend to think about why the girls are getting abortions, instead of just saying "Thats wrong." i Do believe it Is Wrong. But, i understand how girls get to the point of considering having one, and thats something a lot of people dont ever think or talk about.
    There are so many people, like you, that care about and defend the babies, that i guess i think its ok for me to focus on the girls that get in this situation not by choice. Wheather the girl that was raped, or the one that slept around and her parents/gaurdians are forcing her to get an abortion. If a girl slept around, yea she should deal with the consequences. If she's not willing to raise that baby, she should find someone who is, she does not have the right to kill it. But neither does any girl. No matter how she got into that situation. Those children deserve life just as much as she does. Sometimes i forget that, thank you for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jared: i'm sorry. i'm sorry that for even a moment i thought that about you. i'm very passionate about this subject, and sometimes a little irrational. i do focus on the 10-20% of girls because i can sympathize for them, i can understand what they're going through. in my experience religous people tend to be uncareing and unsymathetic to rape victums, so whenever i hear anything that sound judgemental from a christian, i imediatly get upset. Like i said, its irrational. That doesn't excuse what i said tho, and i'm very sorry.
    As far as AIDS adn the like go, these issues are completely intertwined for me. Maybe thats just the way my mind works. But if someone (not you, other's i've met) think that rape is the victum fault, how much a leap is it to STDs and diseases are their fault? And if those are their fault, then the babies born with diseases and addictions, it must be their fault too. i've heard 'christians' say this, that makes me so mad. So yea, i tend to be really sensetive and irrational when it comes to these subjects. i'm not saying i'm right to be this way, just trying to explain why i feel and act this way.
    i really, really am sorry. i do know you better than that.

    ReplyDelete