Imagine one of those shepherds from the first Christmas night. He was very young then, only a boy of seven. But now he's old, and his little grandson sits on his knee as he recounts that momentous evening.
"It was a long time ago, and i was just your age. Hard to believe I was ever as little as you, isn't it? Well... we wee on a hill, just outside of Bethlehem, watching over our flock of sheep, just like King David had done hundreds of years before, right in that same place.
"It always made me feel so grown up when i got to stay out all night with my father. I really wanted to be a good shepherd someday, and this was the best way yo start.
The sheep were quiet and very still. I had almost fallen asleep when a great light shone around us. I though at first it was a dream. But when i saw the angel and heard him speak, i knew it was real.
"The angel told us not to be afraid, because our Saviour was born in Bethlehem. He said we should go and find Him, and he even gave us directions. My father and all my uncles and cousins wanted to go, but somebody had to stay with the sheep. They'd be right back.
"Bethlehem was very crowded that night, and there were lots of babies born. But only one was in a stable, lying in a manger wrapped up in swaddling clothes. Only one like that.
"When they got back a few hours later, they were all really excited and told me all about it. I was really disappointed that I hadn't seen the baby on that first night, but I kept hearing about Him as He grew up. Everybody said He did astounding things- like healing the sick, making blind people see, and deaf people hear. Even raised some from the dead, they said.
"but then He got into some kind of trouble. There were some folks who didn't like Him. They killed Him by hanging Him on a cross. But I heard He didn't stay dead. A lot of people think He rose from the grave and really changed the world with hope and peace and love."
"Well, Grandpa, is it true?" his grandson asked. "Did all of that really happen?"
"That's the way i heard it," Grandpa replied.
"But is it really true?" the boy insisted.
Grandpa shook his head. "I don't know. I never went to see."
Don't let that be your story. If you've only heard about it, you've missed the best part. It's not enough to know that Christmas comes to you; you have to come to Christmas.
No comments:
Post a Comment