Aug 14, 2011

Gotta Be Somebody

Ok, so I was listening to music, and a popular Nickelback song came on. I’ve heard this song prolly 50 times but I’ve never really thought about it before. In this song the entire western philosophy of love is present. Don’t believe me? Let me show you. Here’s the song in it’s entirety and then I’ll break it down line by line and give my commentary.

Gotta Be Somebody/ Nickelback

This time, I wonder what it feels like
To find the one in this life, the one we all dream of
But dreams just aren't enough
So I'll be waiting for the real thing, I'll know it by the feeling

The moment when we're meeting, will play out like a scene
Straight off the silver screen
So I'll be holding my breath, right up 'til the end
Until that moment when, I find the one that I'll spend forever with


Cause nobody wants to be the last one there
Cause everyone wants to feel like someone cares
Someone to love with my life in their hands
There's gotta be somebody for me like that
Cause nobody wants to do it on their own
And everyone wants to know they're not alone
There's somebody else that feels the same somewhere
There's gotta be somebody for me out there

Tonight, out on the street, out in the moonlight
And dammit this feels too right, it's just like déja vu
Me standing here with you
So I'll be holding my breath, could this be the end?
Is it that moment when, I find the one that I'll spend forever with


Cause nobody wants to be the last one there
Cause everyone wants to feel like someone cares
Someone to love with my life in their hands
There's gotta be somebody for me like that
Cause nobody wants to do it on their own
And everyone wants to know they're not alone
There's somebody else that feels the same somewhere
There's gotta be somebody for me out there




You can't give up, (when you're looking for) a diamond in the rough (cause you never know)
When it shows up, (make sure you're holding on)
Cause it could be the one, the one you're waiting on
Cause nobody wants to be the last one there
And everyone wants to feel like someone cares
Someone to love with my life in their hands
There's gotta be somebody for me, oh


Nobody wants to go it on their own
And everyone wants to know they're not alone
There's somebody else that feels the same somewhere
There's gotta be somebody for me out there
Nobody wants to be the last one there
Cause everyone wants to feel like someone cares
There's somebody else that feels the same somewhere
There's gotta be somebody for me out there



And here’s my rather sarcastic commentary. i don't feel that i need to point out what is wrong with this picture, if you read the words and know even a little about real love, being unselfish, and caring about others you'll see what is wrong.


This time, I wonder what it feels like
To find the one in this life ,the one we all dream of
But dreams just aren't enough
So I'll be waiting for the real thing, I'll know it by the feeling



Dreams, imagining, fantasy, but the “real” thing is so much better! And you’ll know it by the feeling, cause everyone knows love is just a feeling.


The moment when we're meeting, will play out like a scene
Straight off the silver screen
So I'll be holding my breath, right up 'til the end
Until that moment when, I find the one that I'll spend forever with


It’ll happen just like in the movies. All those romantic movies you watch? Yea it’s a good thing! Now you’ll know exactly what to look for, and you’ll recognize it when it happens. How can you not? You’ve watched it happen at least 462,000 times.


Cause nobody wants to be the last one there
Cause everyone wants to feel like someone cares
Someone to love with my life in their hands
There's gotta be somebody for me like that


You want to feel like someone cares, not know for certain they care by their actions. My life in their hands, cause it’s not really 50/50, the other person is expected to carry the load.


Cause nobody wants to do it on their own
And everyone wants to know they're not alone
There's somebody else that feels the same somewhere


Of course no one wants to be alone! And you shouldn't! There is definitely someone somewhere that also wants to not feel alone. And they're expecting you to make that happen. Just so you know.


There's gotta be somebody for me out there
Tonight, out on the street, out in the moonlight
And dammit this feels too right, it's just like déja vu
Me standing here with you
So I'll be holding my breath, could this be the end?
Is it that moment when, I find the one that I'll spend forever with


It happens in a moment, you will realize in a single moment if this is the “one” (it usually involves a kiss!) And, dammit, it will feel just right, not too right, not wrong, not ok, just right!


Cause nobody wants to be the last one there
Cause everyone wants to feel like someone cares
Someone to love with my life in their hands
There's gotta be somebody for me like that
Cause nobody wants to do it on their own
And everyone wants to know they're not alone
There's somebody else that feels the same somewhere
There's gotta be somebody for me out there



You can't give up, (when you're looking for) a diamond in the rough (cause you never know)
When it shows up, (make sure you're holding on)
Cause it could be the one, the one you're waiting on


It will come to you, you don’t have to go out to find it, or work hard at keeping it. It’ll just happen. There is one person, out of 100,000 billion people on the planet for you. Only one that will make you happy for the rest of your life. But it’s ok, cause you’ll find each other. You're meant to be, destined for each other. There is no one that could make you as happy as this one person.


Cause nobody wants to be the last one there
And everyone wants to feel like someone cares
Someone to love with my life in their hands
There's gotta be somebody for me, oh

Nobody wants to go it on their own
And everyone wants to know they're not alone
There's somebody else that feels the same somewhere
There's gotta be somebody for me out there
Nobody wants to be the last one there
Cause everyone wants to feel like someone cares
There's somebody else that feels the same somewhere
There's gotta be somebody for me out there


Just keep believing, it’ll happen without any work from you!
But what really sums up the philosophy of love, is this phrase right here: There's gotta be somebody for me. There is someone for me. It’s about me, and how someone else will make me happy.
And that, ladies and gentlemen is what is wrong with this culture’s view of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment