After almost two years of hearing about Camp David, I finally came to work as a wrangler this past summer. I loved being involved in the Christian community here at camp, as well as being challenged spiritually. At the end of the summer I decided I wanted to go deeper, and asked to be accepted as an Intern. Since being here full-time I’ve been able to explore and discover new talents and interests I didn’t even know I had, like public speaking, office work, photography, and training and caring for animals. I come from a larger city, so getting involved in the ‘small town life’ while living at camp has been interesting, and definitely an added bonus! So far I’ve been challenged more than I thought I would be, and stretched farther than I thought possible, but I’ve also developed close relationships with the other interns and with my mentor. There have been times when all I wanted to do was quit, go back to the easier job I had before, and stop being “challenged and stretched”, but I’ve stayed, worked through my personal issues with the help of God and the staff here, and I’m better for it. This internship is not all sunshine and flowers, it’s hard work coupled with the staff’s desire to see me grow and change. It’s a tough environment, but I’m really glad God brought me here. And there are some really great times too! Things like a random trip to Goodwill with Julia and Laura, or a quick question for Linda that turns into an hour long conversation that leaves me feeling refreshed and excited. The worship we have together every day, the shared meals, deciding who gets to use the washer first or whose turn it is for dishes, things like this that are teaching us how to live together successfully are another sometimes fun-sometimes not, part of living in community. All in all, being an intern is quite possibly the best thing that’s ever happened to me!
Nov 23, 2011
December Newsletter Article
CDO is putting out a December newsletter, and they have decided that the theme is going to be the internship and mentoring. Ben asked me to write an article for the newsletter, here's my original. Ben and Grace have editing power, so it'll prolly look a little different by the time it's printed.
After almost two years of hearing about Camp David, I finally came to work as a wrangler this past summer. I loved being involved in the Christian community here at camp, as well as being challenged spiritually. At the end of the summer I decided I wanted to go deeper, and asked to be accepted as an Intern. Since being here full-time I’ve been able to explore and discover new talents and interests I didn’t even know I had, like public speaking, office work, photography, and training and caring for animals. I come from a larger city, so getting involved in the ‘small town life’ while living at camp has been interesting, and definitely an added bonus! So far I’ve been challenged more than I thought I would be, and stretched farther than I thought possible, but I’ve also developed close relationships with the other interns and with my mentor. There have been times when all I wanted to do was quit, go back to the easier job I had before, and stop being “challenged and stretched”, but I’ve stayed, worked through my personal issues with the help of God and the staff here, and I’m better for it. This internship is not all sunshine and flowers, it’s hard work coupled with the staff’s desire to see me grow and change. It’s a tough environment, but I’m really glad God brought me here. And there are some really great times too! Things like a random trip to Goodwill with Julia and Laura, or a quick question for Linda that turns into an hour long conversation that leaves me feeling refreshed and excited. The worship we have together every day, the shared meals, deciding who gets to use the washer first or whose turn it is for dishes, things like this that are teaching us how to live together successfully are another sometimes fun-sometimes not, part of living in community. All in all, being an intern is quite possibly the best thing that’s ever happened to me!
After almost two years of hearing about Camp David, I finally came to work as a wrangler this past summer. I loved being involved in the Christian community here at camp, as well as being challenged spiritually. At the end of the summer I decided I wanted to go deeper, and asked to be accepted as an Intern. Since being here full-time I’ve been able to explore and discover new talents and interests I didn’t even know I had, like public speaking, office work, photography, and training and caring for animals. I come from a larger city, so getting involved in the ‘small town life’ while living at camp has been interesting, and definitely an added bonus! So far I’ve been challenged more than I thought I would be, and stretched farther than I thought possible, but I’ve also developed close relationships with the other interns and with my mentor. There have been times when all I wanted to do was quit, go back to the easier job I had before, and stop being “challenged and stretched”, but I’ve stayed, worked through my personal issues with the help of God and the staff here, and I’m better for it. This internship is not all sunshine and flowers, it’s hard work coupled with the staff’s desire to see me grow and change. It’s a tough environment, but I’m really glad God brought me here. And there are some really great times too! Things like a random trip to Goodwill with Julia and Laura, or a quick question for Linda that turns into an hour long conversation that leaves me feeling refreshed and excited. The worship we have together every day, the shared meals, deciding who gets to use the washer first or whose turn it is for dishes, things like this that are teaching us how to live together successfully are another sometimes fun-sometimes not, part of living in community. All in all, being an intern is quite possibly the best thing that’s ever happened to me!
Labels:
CDO,
The Journey
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment