She was sitting on the examining table, her leg swinging slowly back and forth. Her bright colored skirt swished gently. She looked around the room and sighed. Patience was not her strong point. She flipped her ponytail over her shoulder and started playing with the end of it. A soft knock, and then the door opened. The nurse came in, smiling, and had a stack of papers in her hand.
"OK, I talked to the Dr., she agrees that it's probably nothing but just to be sure we want you to come back in about 6 weeks for a follow-up. OK?"
"Yeah, I can do that."
"OK good. Just set up the appointment with the receptionist. Don't worry, I'm sure it's nothing, we usually don't see this in girls as young as you, but with your family history it's better to be safe than sorry, you know?"
"Yeah absolutely. I totally understand." She smiled, but it wasn't real.
"Well I'll see you in about 6 weeks then." The nurse handed her the papers, and left her to gather her things and leave the examining room. She walked out to the receptionist's desk.
"Hi, do you need to check out?" Trudi. That was the name on her name tag. It was a nice, fun name.
"Yes. And I need to make an appointment in 6 weeks too. Here's my paperwork."
"OK thanks. I'll get that set up for you right now." Trudi took the papers and glanced at them, then did a double take. She looked up at the girl, sympathy showing on her face. "I haven't seen you here before, are you new?"
"Yeah I am, I just moved here."
"Well, welcome to our office."
"Thanks."
"You're, what, 19, 20?"
"I"m 21."
"Oh ok," The sympathy was back on her face. "You look younger. But you probably hear that a lot." She laughed, but it sounded forced. She was just making small talk, trying to avoid talking about what was written on the paper in front of her.
"Yeah I've been told that a lot." The receptionist continued with the small talk, but she had stopped listening. The follow-up appointment was made, and she left the office. She walked out of the building, and across the parking lot. Her keys had ended up at the bottom of her bag, like always, and it took at least 30 seconds to fish them out. Her hands were shaking, and she dropped them, and then finally unlocked the door and got in her little car. She pulled her phone out, and started a call. After three rings, someone picked up.
"Hello?"
"Hi Mom. I just finished at the Dr's."
"Oh, how did it go?"
"It went fine, they said it's nothing. I have to go back in 6 weeks just to be sure, but I'm fine." She tried to keep her voice calm, and steady. She didn't want her mom to know she didn't believe what she was saying.
"Oh good! I'm so relieved. Your dad will be pleased to hear this, we've been praying all day."
"Thanks Mom, and thank Dad too."
"Are you coming for dinner Thursday night? I know your brother would love to see you."
"Of course I'll be there, I'm looking forward to it."
"Ok, well I need to go, but it was good to hear from you. And I'm so glad that it turned out to be nothing."
"Yeah me too. Ok, I'll see you Thursday night. Bye Mom."
"Bye hon. It'll all be OK."
She ended the call and put the phone on the passenger seat. She gripped the steering wheel, closed her eyes, and cried. What if it wasn't OK? What if it wasn't OK ever again?
No comments:
Post a Comment